Here's what you need to know about the latest TikTok trend, permanent jewelry.
We get a lot of visitors to our West Seattle shop who are looking for permanent jewelry. But, more often, our visitors have never heard of permanent jewelry before (and that's a-okay 😊).
Whether you're a permanent jewelry pro or learning about it as you read this email, here's what you need to know! As always, we're here to answer any other burning questions.
What is permanent jewelry?
Simply put, it's jewelry without a clasp. Your bracelet, necklace, or anklet is welded together in the spot where the clasp would normally be!
Some myths we want to bust:
- We don't weld anything to your skin
- Permanent jewelry is removable—just cut the chain with a pair of scissors or by visiting our store
- So, even though it's called "permanent" jewelry, it is not tattoo-level permanent
Why get permanent jewelry?
There are a few things we love about permanent jewelry! For starters, you're getting a piece of jewelry that completely customized to you—pick the chain and charms, then we'll size the piece to fit you perfectly.
If clasps are tricky for you or you don't like the hassle of taking jewelry on and off, permanent jewelry may be the right option for you. Once it's on, it's on—no finicky clasps required.
When should I get permanent jewelry?
Anytime! We've had people get permanent jewelry to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, Mother's Day, graduations, reunions, and even divorces! You don't need a reason though—plenty of customers get it just to treat themselves.
What's the process?
It's simple and usually takes less than 15 minutes, depending on the group size.
Here's what to expect:
- Choose your chain and charms—we have menus with our options and can help you try anything on before committing.
- We size the chain to the fit you want—we're here to help you find the perfect piece; we'll keep tweaking and resizing until you're 100% comfortable.
- Protect your eyes—we ask you to wear the safety goggles that we provide if you want to watch the weld. The soldering process produces a bright spark of light that can cause damage to your vision if directly looked at.
- Get "zapped"—the soldering process is painless and takes less than a second. The welder melts the ends of the chain, allowing them to fuse together and create a clasp-less piece.
- Final polish—once you're zapped, we'll polish the spot where the soldering happened to remove any lingering residue.
What happens if my permanent jewelry comes off?
Pay us a visit and we can help you re-weld your piece (if it's something you got from us; we cannot re-weld permanent jewelry from other businesses).
If it is damaged or falls off within a week of getting it, we'll re-weld free of charge. After a week, re-welds are $10.
What does it look like?
Check out some of our team members' permanent jewelry below for an idea of what it looks like.